Drought Level 1
California is in Second Year of Dry Conditions
With California experiencing its second dry winter, Governor Newsom has issued several orders related to drought, established drought emergencies in 50 of 58 counties. San Diego County has not been put into drought status, but living in a semi-arrid desert means we must always be efficient with our water supply.
In July 2021, Governor Newsom asked for a voluntary 15% reduction in water use statewide in an effort to maintain storage statewide.
Learn more at California's Drought Action website
Water Efficient tips
Try to eliminate these behaviors to make the most efficient use of our water supplies.
- Hosing off sidewalks, driveways and other hardscapes;
- Washing automobiles with hoses not equipped with a shut-off nozzle;
- Using non-recirculated water in a fountain or other decorative water feature;
- Watering lawns in a manner that causes runoff, or within 48 hours after measurable precipitation; and
- Irrigating ornamental turf on public street medians.
Rebates and Incentives
WaterSmart SD - Available to All SFID Customers
See residential, commercial and agricultural rebates and incentives including landscape classes, rebates for landscape and free audits.
County of San Diego Waterscape Rebate Program
Available to Unincorporated areas (Rancho Santa Fe and Fairbanks Ranch)
Residential and agricultural rebates such as rain gutters, cisterns, turf replacement and permeable pavement.